Learning a new language is a valuable and enriching experience. It opens doors to new cultures, career opportunities, and personal growth. However, developing the habit of practicing consistently to get to fluency can be challenging. We’ve gathered a list of tips and tricks that you can put into practice today to make that process smoother!
Tips and Tricks that will get you to English fluency:
- Connect your language learning with your life goals: Having a clear understanding of why you want to embark on the journey of learning a language gives you a strong starting point and provides you with a sense of purpose as it connects with your identity.
- Set achievable near-term goals: It’s easy to feel like you’ll never achieve fluency in a new language, so choose near-term goals that help you measure your progress — for instance, mastering the different Spanish greetings. This will help you to stay motivated and generate a feeling of satisfaction.
- Immerse yourself: Surround yourself with the language as much as possible. Listen to music, watch TV shows or movies, and speak with native speakers.
- Make it easy: Language practice shouldn’t be an inconvenience that makes you change your whole schedule around it. Make it part of your daily routine and incorporate it with other activities you’re already doing.
- Learn the English that matters to you: Legacy language acquisition methods have their students learn endless vocabulary lists and practice scenarios they will never actually use. Focusing on the language aspects that are relevant to your goals can help you get where you want to be as an English speaker much faster!
- Team up with a language expert: Learning a new language with the support and guidance of a native expert is a splendid way to keep motivation, create a sense of belonging, and boost your learning by sharing insights and practicing together. That person can also act as an accountability partner who helps you stick to your commitment and goal.
- Monitor process rather than progress: Whenever we start something new, whether it be trying to gain strength, lose weight, or learn a language, we want to see results as soon as possible. These things take time, so don’t get frustrated if you don’t see them right away! Focusing on creating and sustaining the habit of learning will bring you the results you’re looking for in the long run.
- Find the learning method that is best for you: We all learn things in different ways. Traditional language classes or intensive courses are not suitable for some, the same way language-learning apps might be too impersonal for others. You get to choose the method that best fits you.
- Have fun: Learning a new language should be a joyful experience that doesn’t cause stress. Don’t be too hard on yourself and learn to enjoy the ride. If you stick to your practice long enough, you will get the results you envisioned when you first started!
Want more? Try Personalized Language Coaching
You can boost your language learning experience today by putting these tips into practice, but if you’re looking for an alternative that will allow you to make even more progress we’ve got you covered.
Here at LalTal, we’re revolutionizing language learning with our Personalized Language Coaching system. By recognizing the needs of new language learners in this fast-paced and digital time, we created a method that combines the insights and guidance of a native language expert with the convenience and affordability of a language-learning app. It is truly the best of both worlds.
Our coaches not only help you with the linguistic side of things, but they also focus on the behavioral side of language learning so you can develop a sustainable habit that keeps you moving down the path to the fluency you want to achieve. That’s what makes LalTal so unique and effective: we’re more than just tutoring!
Best of all is that LalTal easily fits into your existing routine, as you interact with your coach through voice memos. That way you don’t have to be connected at the same time and you still receive that human personalized feedback that takes your linguistic skills to the next level.
Want to give it a try? You can schedule a free goal-setting session where we will explore where you’re at and where you want to be so we can connect you with the perfect coach and kickstart your language-learning journey. We’ll see you on the path to fluency!